Premarital counseling can offer couples the insight they need to prepare for marriage. It is designed to provide marriage education while also helping couples to develop the skills needed for a successful marriage. Participating in premarital counseling does not mean something is wrong with your relationship. In fact, it means that you are ready to establish a solid foundation for your marriage and want to prevent future problems from occurring in your marriage.
Some Benefits to Premarital Counseling include:
- Increasing commitment to your relationship and marriage
- Developing and enhancing your communication skills as a couple
- Learning effective techniques for handling conflict
- Reducing your risk for divorce
- Giving more attention to a healthy marriage
As a counselor, I utilize the Prepare Enrich couples counseling program. Prepare Enrich offers a customized online couples’ assessment that identifies a couple’s strength and growth areas. It is one of the most widely used programs for premarital counseling and premarital education. Over 3 million couples have completed this program. It is also used for marriage counseling, marriage enrichment, and dating couples considering engagement. Based on a couple’s assessment results, we will schedule 6-8 feedback sessions in which I will use various exercises to help couples discuss and understand their results as they are taught proven relationship skills.
The major goals of the PREPARE/ENRICH program is to help couples:
- Explore strength and growth areas
- Strengthen communication skills
- Identify and manage major stressors
- Resolve conflict using the Ten Step Model
- Develop a more balanced relationship
- Explore family of origin issues
- Discuss financial planning and budgeting
- Establish personal, couple and family goals
- Understand and appreciate personality differences
Couples who sign-up for premarital counseling will receive 2 Prepare/Enrich workbooks, 2 copies of customized comprehensive couple reports, and a certificate of completion. The certificate of completion can be used to save on your marriage license in Georgia. Other states may offer this incentive as well.
To schedule your initial session or to inquire about rates and packages, contact Marian Higgins, Ph.D., [email protected] or 706-425-8900 ext. 704.